Well, our little angel baby has had quite the rough past few months and particularly the past few weeks. When she was about 6 months old, she ran a scary fever for about three days of 103-105 degrees. It completely terrified me, but I was glad when it was over. Unfortunately, she has repeated that process 6 times now in the last 6 months. I had been seeing her doctor who said it could be periodic fever syndrome (which they don't really know the cause for) but he wanted to run some more tests.
A few weeks ago, she pulled a curling iron onto her arm. It was so sad! Thankfully, although she got her arm pretty bad, she didn't burn herself any worse. It has healed very well, and I don't think it will really scar too bad.
The kids and I went down to St. David a few days later to go to the blessing of my newest niece while Aaron stayed up here to finish up house stuff for listing. The last day we were there, Adalyn spiked her fever again. I decided to go ahead and drive home that night and just keep a careful eye on her (we don't sleep much when she's fevering anyway). Well, just as we were driving through Tucson, I asked Kenzie to take her temperature for me (yes, I'm raising a little nurse) and she said "mom, it says one hundred forty five". Great! I figured that meant 104.5. So I pulled over and sure enough she was 104.7. So I pulled her out of her car seat and was holding her when she threw up all over me. I took her temp again and it was 106.1. I was pretty much beside myself at this point. By myself, four kids in the car, pulled off on the side of the freeway, puke everywhere, and somehow I needed to get to the ER. I tried to call Aaron, but couldn't reach him, so I called my Mom who said she was on her way. Then I called my friend Camille who lives there in Tucson, just praying that she was there. She was, and had just moved a few days before to a new home just miles from where I was. So many blessings! She came and got my other kids and I drove Adalyn to the new children's hospital there at UMC. (Remember, she has a massive burn down her arm too...lovely!) My parents met me there for support, which I needed. She was so dehydrated, they couldn't start the IV, so they ended up putting it in her head. They ended up admitting her and keeping her for 2 days. They didn't have any free rooms right away, so we actually stayed the whole night in the ER. They did finally roll a crib in for her at about 5 AM, so that I didn't have to sit up holding her. Aaron drove down and picked up the other kids the next morning (They stayed the night at my friend's) They ran every test on Adalyn imaginable and they all came up negative. So, I kind of feel like we're still at square one, except for we know what it's not.
My poor baby is so wonderful. She actually spiked another fever just a week after we got home and has been running for 5 days. Last night we woke her up out of a dead sleep to give her medicine and wipe her with a wet washcloth until the fever came down and she was playing peek-a-boo with me under her blanket! My heart breaks for her every time I see her so sick. They don't really have any good answers as far as treatments for periodic fever syndrome, so we're just praying a lot and doing all that we can.
4 comments:
Oh my gosh! Poor little thing! I was worried about her after the blessing and I didn't even know about your hospital visit! I am so sorry! And the IV in her head? That makes me want to cry! Give her hugs and kisses from us! Love you guys!
Oh Kellianne, I am praying for you. I can't really think of anything worse for a mom than super high fevers, its terrifying. Adalyn sounds likea sweet gem. Hang in there, we'll be remembering you in our prayers!
Oh man - that poor girl. She is so sweet. We will be praying that they get to the bottom of this soon. No fun!
Wow I had no idea you were going through that. I am so sorry. I wish there was more the doctors could do for her. I'm also so glad you had help nearby when you were in Tucson.
Post a Comment